7 Thoughts & Stories from My Week.
1. When I was 18, I went on a date with a guy who was 23. On the date, I asked him if he was gay. When he flipped out, I said, “Hey, you can never assume that someone is straight.”
2. You know how you can tell when a couple is doing badly when you hang out with them? And there’s lots of tension and anger in the air? And you just wish you could leave, because nobody paid you to be a couples counselor or marriage facilitator?
3. I just met someone who started their marriage with a 1-night stand with their spouse. This is the only 1-night stand I’ve ever seen continue successfully. I think this is rare.
4. Parents need to accept their adult children’s decisions if they want to keep their children in their lives.
5. I am horrible with directions, but that doesn’t mean I should stop traveling to new places. It just means that I need to be self-aware. So when I hit the road, I arm myself with multiple tools: GPS, cell phone, written directions, and the ability to ask people for help.
6. One friend I have keeps asking me if I want to have children. She asks me this almost every time we hang out.
I told her, “I am not committed to having children therefore I am not having children. It’s something I believe people should fully commit to.”
She said, “But every parent ends up loving their child. Even if you’re not sure, you’d end up loving your children, too.”
I said, “That’s not how I want to approach having children.”
7. I enjoy life more when I can be aware of different parts of me: when I read (exercise my mind), jog (exercise my body), and spend time with loved ones (exercise my heart).
I hope you all had wonderful weeks!!
PS: Photo credit: Wikimedia commons.
- 7 things to know about loving your ex
- The 5 Worst ways to ask someone out
- 10 ways to say "no" to hanging out