I’m catching up on photos!
In the last four days, I’ve driven from LA to Sac-town with just a 12-hour pitstop in San Francisco to unpack and repack. (BTW: Is everywhere hotter than SF? Methinks in the future I will stop packing JEANS to travel around California.)
Beyond that, I ended up with a free pass to the Anime Expo last weekend in downtown LA. No, I didn’t dress up. No, I don’t know anything about anime. Yes, I am really boring.
I’ve never seen so many people in costume, in one place, in my entire life. In fact, costumes became so normal that, after just a few hours, I started wishing I had a papier mache dragon hat. Then, I considered just wearing my underwear and a pink wig like lots of other gender-neutral people were doing.
I was too shy to ask people if I could take photos of their awesome costumes, but here is an idea of what the Convention Center was like:
Okay, now take that image and quadruple it. Then add in a bajillion times more people (this was taken early on the first day).
Despite my initial surprise, I decided that costumes are really cool. Here’s why:
1. Dressing up gives people the chance to try on a new personality. Jogging pants make you freer and more lively. High heels cause you to stay still. Logically, dressing like a character might cause you to do….this?
2. Costumes give you permission to live your fantasy-self. The following photos are subject to your interpretation of that statement:
3. You receive attention for your costume. I saw a guy dressed as a caveman, carrying a huge, 7-foot club around. In the ten minutes I stood behind him (in a line, fearful of his club), three people snapped his photo.
- Note #1: The ol’ “Mean Girls” rule for Halloween costumes applied here, too: “it’s an excuse to dress like a slut, wear animal ears, then call it a costume.” In fact, if you look up other photos from Anime Expo, you’ll see mostly skin. Just not in mine. Ha. Told you I was boring!
- Note #2: I am NOT judging anyone for their costumes. In fact, I am all about Slut Pride. I support Sluts as strongly as I support Gay Marriage.
p>While I’m too shy to take or have photos taken of me…. if you’re not… this is your Convention. Here’s a photo illustration of #3 (which I actually snapped myself, hence the craptastic-ness of it):
Yes: A photo of a photo of a photo.
That’s enough for now. I leave you with two bonus photos of the LA Convention Center.
LA has the best food trucks!!
And…. this one speaks for itself. 🙂
PS: Some of the photos were snagged from the Tumblr site.
- 7 things to know about loving your ex
- The 5 Worst ways to ask someone out
- 10 ways to say "no" to hanging out