1. Check your phone, wondering if they’ve sent you anything since the last time you checked, 2 minutes ago. Even though you deleted all of their contact info. Or even though you know, deep down, they will never call you again.
2. When you dial someone, think about calling them. Stop mid-dial, when you realize what you are doing.
3. While lying in bed to go to sleep, remember something you need to tell them in the morning.
4. Wake up and remember that thing you forgot to tell them. Realize you’re not going to see them today.
5. Watch a movie and laugh. Mentally note all the sections of the movie that they would also laugh at or hate.
6. Say something funny in a group of people. While everyone else smiles politely or frowns, know that they would have appreciated it more than anyone else.
7. Argue with a friend about politics. In secret, imagine that you are arguing with the person you miss. Consider how they would react to the conversation — would they agree? Would they shrug it off? Would they get mad? While your friend talks, envision what they would have said if they’d been in the conversation.
8. Leave dirty dishes on the countertop because they hated that. Imagine their reaction to that. Leave them there anyway.
9. Have the talk you wish you’d always had with them. Do it alone in your room. Cry.
10. List all of the places you went with them.
11. List all of the things you left behind with them, tangible or intangible.
12. Go somewhere you last went with them. Retrace the path you went. Remember the conversation you had.
Alone, start a new path.