A friend recently showed me a study that found sexual attraction as follows: women of all ages tend to find men closest to their age the most attractive. On the other hand, men of all ages tend to find women who averaged 21 years old the most attractive.
Gotta love sexism and male insecurity.
Now that I’ve turned yet another year of life, I fight my internalized ageism:
If I were 21, I think, men would find me beautiful. And then the voice of 34 years reasons with me: If you were 21, it says, you would be depressed and miserable, like you were when you were 21.
I’ll trade happiness for beauty any day. ANY day.
My friend asked me today, “What do you want to have happen in 2015?” and I realized I couldn’t think of a damn thing. 2014 was a year of abundance: an abundance of love, friends, jobs, opportunities.
Abundance I’ll trade for being beautiful, any day.
So in the honor of my friend’s question, here are a few things I wish for as a 34 year old:
10. To diversify my dance moves, using inspirational YouTube videos such as the ones featuring reject acts from So You Think You Can Dance (“Is she having a seizure? No, she’s dancing!”)
9. To get rejected and bounce back, lots of times (I wrote about the importance of dating rejection here, but I’m talking about rejection-at-large)
8. To learn a new skill
7. To figure out how to turn passive-aggressive people into friends, instead of hating them forever
6. To be supportive of others, instead of trying to solve their problems
5. To stop gossiping when I’m angry, and start “letting it go”
4. To remember: “Done is better than perfect.”
3. To let my heart win over my ego
2. To understand the emotional reasons behind my jealousy
1. To finish and publish my novel
Thank you for being here with me in 2014.
Wishing love to you in 2015,