Each time I read these 20 instructions from the Dalai Lama** see below, something new jumps out at me, depending on what’s going on in my life. Like today, I think I could really use some work on #7, 13, and 20.
You’ve probably seen them before, but if you read them again today, who knows what you’ll learn? Check out below what you’ve been kicking ass at, or what you’d like to start working on. Today could be the day when something you’ve seen before will change your life.
The Dalai Lama’s Instructions for Life
- Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
- When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
- Follow the three R’s:
– Respect for self,
– Respect for others and
– Responsibility for all your actions.
- Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
- Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Don’t let a little dispute injure a great relationship.
- When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
- Spend some time alone every day.
- Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
- Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and
think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
- A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
- In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
- Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
- Be gentle with the earth.
- Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
- Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
- Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
- If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
- If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
Happy week, y’all!
** Hey folks, I attributed this to the Dalai Lama, because that was the attribution that went viral and thus what I searched. I have learned it was written in fact by H. Jackson Brown, Jr. My apologies for believing the internet, and not my credible sources!!
- 7 things to know about loving your ex
- The 5 Worst ways to ask someone out
- 10 ways to say "no" to hanging out