1. Eat half a pound of fudge that you’d intended to give as a gift to your hosts. 2. Every eight minutes, try to reboot the mini television at your seat, which has been scrolling code for the past three hours. 3. Call the attendant once per hour to ask her to fix the TV.…
Hey y’all, In the eve of the Christian / secular holiday of Christmas, I post this photo I took of the least Christian country I’ve yet to visit. I took this photo from a Buddhist temple in Bagan, the pilgrimage site for Buddhists around the world. On the day I snapped this, I was awake…
Fewer times in my life was I hit hard by my eurocentric U.S. history education than when I planned this trip to Vietnam.
A few weeks ago, I was trying to figure out what to pack, and what to expect, and I could only conjure up the following images:
- monks setting themselves on fire
- a little girl, running down a dirt road without clothes on, screaming and crying while fleeing an exploding village
- some dumb soldier obsessing over his girlfriend while killing people in Tim O’Brien’s bro-tastic book, The Things They Carried
Photo #1 – A place where people hang their lingerie over a river? (For breast cancer awareness)
….and righteousness like a mighty stream. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.
Civil Rights Memorial. Southern Poverty Law Center. Montgomery, Alabama
Now you know where I am and why my post is 1-day late. What a moving tribute to a world-changing movement.
Last week, two major things happened:
- I told my boss I’m quitting.
I took my first break from work in nearly a year.
Okay, to be more accurate, it’s:
- I told my boss I’m quitting;
I quickly left town and disappeared to avoid any repercussions.
I was privileged and lucky enough to be able to take a vacation. If that makes you feel annoyed, stop reading. If you like to live vicariously through others, keep going!
Can you guess where I went? Here is a short photo montage:
Photo #1: The lines were as long as those at Disneyland!
I saw into the future this weekend. And the future is the Knockout Rounds of The Voice, Season 5. And, if you didn’t know, the season will start in September. I signed a non-disclosure that said I wouldn’t reveal anything about the episode itself– ie. WHO is going to finals. So instead, I’ll blog about…
I’m catching up on photos! In the last four days, I’ve driven from LA to Sac-town with just a 12-hour pitstop in San Francisco to unpack and repack. (BTW: Is everywhere hotter than SF? Methinks in the future I will stop packing JEANS to travel around California.) Beyond that, I ended up with a free…
You know when you’re uber-familiar with two different things…. and then one day you realize they are related? No? Yes? Is it just me? Does your mind get blown? Mine does. Starting from the beginning: It is 102 degrees in Sac-town, where I am. (Last week, it was 108.) Why Sacramento? I’m here for 1…