Words matter, but sometimes they fail us.
I would like to propose that we invent words for the following moments and situations in life…….
1. That confusion when you see someone who looks A LOT like you. SO MUCH like you that you are trying to figure out when you ever went to see the nighttime showing of Twilight, before you realize it’s not you in the photo.
2. That flash of visceral recollection when you touch something and a relatively-insignificant memory floods back. For example, when you use a spork, and then remember that the last time you ate with one, someone catapulted mashed potatoes at your forehead.
2. That selfish relief you feel when your ex finally gets married….. the one who once swore he would die for you. Now you don’t have to worry about having scarred him for life. Now you know that time can heal. Like, 8 years of time.
3. That emotion that causes you to make bad decisions, “because you want to,” although intellectually you are very clear you are fucking up.
4. That duck-into-a-bush impulse when you see someone you REALLY don’t want to talk to, but it’s too late to hide from them.
5. That situation when you learn the person you’ve just gotten serious with…. refuses to delete old fling’s phone numbers and text messages in their phone, presumably “just in case.”
ARE there words out there? Currently existing, or invented by you?
- 7 things to know about loving your ex
- The 5 Worst ways to ask someone out
- 10 ways to say "no" to hanging out