On Tuesday, I arrived at work in a half-zombie-like, half-foul mood. I had some coffee, but I still had to ask my co-worker to repeat herself 5x before I could finally process a sentence of what she was saying.
It wasn’t until I walked around my site that I realized I wasn’t the only one who was off.
“Elisa, it’s the MOON,” my colleague said to me adamantly, after the 6th repeated sentence. “I almost put a knife through the throats of my entire family on Sunday,” she said. “Including my children.”
She looked me over. “You’re doing really well, actually. You seem so well-balanced during this week, compared to everyone else.” That was a statement.
Later, during a staff meeting, my colleagues corroborated her in their conversations:
~ “Does anyone have pills for a headache? …..No, I need something stronger than Aleve. Fine, maybe I’ll take three or four of those.”
~ “I called someone a jerk today. I feel bad. I don’t even know why I said it.”
~ “I can’t stop yelling at people.”
~ “Is it really obvious that I’m off?”
Anyway, in case it’s not just me and it’s actually like all of the people I know, here are 10 questions I had to ask myself this week to coach myself out of this weird-ass orbit I’m in.
(Yes, I ask myself questions in 3rd person. There’s research that shows this helps us treat ourselves more kindly.)
- Did you sleep enough?
- Did you eat well, and drink enough water?
- What are you upset with, if anyone or anything?
- No, what are you REALLY upset with?
- Okay, you’re upset about that thing in #4: So, what do you wish had happened instead?
- So, moving on…… If one thing about your week could be different from this point forward, what change would it be?
- Is that change possible for you to make alone? If not, what IS possible for you to make alone? Figure something out that’s in your sphere of influence. Something that’s possible on this planet, this week, for you.
- Are you going to make that change?
- Are you really going to make that change?
10. Okay, fine. Maybe it’s just the moon. Ya think?
- 7 things to know about loving your ex
- The 5 Worst ways to ask someone out
- 10 ways to say "no" to hanging out