Let’s cut to the chase. Nobody likes rejection.
OK, some people like rejection. But maybe (probably) not you. Not me. At least, not at first.
But if we are planning on living in the world, and not inside a paper bag beneath a bridge somewhere….. that includes facing rejection some way, somehow, whether in a job, a friendship, or life.
In that awkward moment of rejection, what do we say or do? Besides running away screaming, or throwing a tantrum?
Things to say to others:
1. “Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate your honesty.”
2. “Yes! Another rejection! I can check this off my list now!”
3. [Sung to the tune of Bob Marley’s “Redemption Song”] “Won’t you help to sing / These songs of freedom? ‘Cause all I ever have: Rejection songs; Rejection songs; Rejection songs.”
Just kidding. What about —
“Can you tell me a little bit about why? I’m not trying to change your mind- I just want to understand the situation better.”
4. “I’d like to still be in contact with you / I’d like to still be your friend / I hope we can still have a good relationship after this.”
5. “I think I’m going to need some space for awhile, but I’ll be okay.”
Things to say to yourself:
6. “Just because this happened does not mean I am a bad person. It is not about me.”
7. “What lesson can I learn from this so I can become smarter?”
8. “Am I overreacting? Does my reaction make sense?”
9. List out 5 positive qualities that you have.
10. “I am loved and I love myself.”
- 7 things to know about loving your ex
- The 5 Worst ways to ask someone out
- 10 ways to say "no" to hanging out